MSHP Annual Awards
MSHP is proud to recognize the outstanding achievements of our members each year. There are five awards given each year. MSHP aims for diversity in the nominations and selection process.
To submit a nomination, click the title of the award. A candidate must be nominated for a specific award in order to be considered. Nominations are not transferable between forms or from past years. Nominations will be accepted throughout the year and award recipients will be honored at the Annual Awards Dinner held in the fall. The Fall Annual Awards Dinner is to be announced.
Please note: the Preceptor of the Year award is announced and honored at the Resident Welcome Dinner. The Resident Welcome Dinner will not take place in July, due to the coronavirus pandemic. We hope to reschedule the dinner for later in the year.
Award Descriptions & Nomination Forms
- W Arthur Purdum Award: Established in 1970 by the Maryland Society of Health-System Pharmacists and serves as the Society's most prestigious award. The purpose of the W. Arthur Purdum Award is to recognize an individual who has made significant and sustained contributions or has provided influential leadership for health-system pharmacy in Maryland. Selected by the W. Arthur Purdum Committee, made up of past award recipients.
- MSHP Excellence Award: The purpose the MSHP Excellence Award is to recognize and reward outstanding, significant, consistent, and ongoing contributions to advancing pharmacy practice and demonstrating a commitment to improving patient care through multidisciplinary care delivery. This award is selected by the Nominations Committee.
- Pharmacy Technician of the Year Award: The purpose of the Technician of the Year Award is to honor a certified technician who through his or her dedication, interest and enthusiasm has made a significant contribution to the practice of pharmacy in Maryland. This award is selected by the Nominations Committee.
- Health System Pharmacist of the Year Award: The purpose of the Health-System Pharmacist of the Year Award is to recognize and reward a pharmacist who has demonstrated outstanding contributions to the practice of health-system pharmacy with an impact on Maryland citizens, health-system pharmacists, or pharmacy practice within the past year. This award is selected by the Nominations Committee.
- Preceptor of the Year Award: The purpose of the Preceptor of the Year Award is to honor an MSHP member for significant contributions to the training and education of students and residents. This award is selected by the Emerging Practitioners Committee. Nominations closed May 15, 2020 - stay tuned for the announcement of the 2020 recipient.
- Jeffery Ensor Leadership Award: The purpose of the Jeffrey E. Ensor Emerging Leader Award is to recognize and reward an individual, new to health-system pharmacy (10 years from graduation or less), who has demonstrated significant leadership potential with an impact on Maryland health-system pharmacists or pharmacy practice. The candidate will be an emerging leader who demonstrates the ideals of the profession of pharmacy while providing exceptional service and commitment to the profession. This award is selected by the Nominations Committee.
- Medication Safety Award: The purpose of the Medication Safety Award is to recognize and honor outstanding members who contribute to improvements in medication use and/or patient safety. The award program also allows for sharing achievements and dissemination of ideas for improving medication use and patient safety throughout Maryland’s health-systems. Those interested will need to apply to be considered. This award is selected by the Medication Safety Committee.